The Fashion Home team showed us how they transformed a small, empty room into an inviting, dinner-party-ready space.
1. Bold window treatments: To enlarge a room, buy a gorgeous patterned fabric to create interest and a bold pop. Mount drapes up to the ceiling to make the room feel larger than it is.
2. Larger-than-expected table: Even if your dining room is small, that doesn’t mean you need to buy a small table. With the dimensions of this dining room, which is also the breakfast room, many would typically go with a round table. However, this family likes to entertain, and the room needed to seat at least six to eight people. The larger table helps fill out the space and makes this room the ideal setting for a great family meal.
3. Mixed-fabric chairs: A nice way to add texture to a dining room is to mix in a fabric chair. Yes, sometimes wood or metal chairs are practical because you can clean them, but there are fabrics (like Sunbrella and leather) that are kid-friendly and easy to clean. These dining chairs were customized with a supple ivory leather in the inside seat and back and on the outside used a fun geometric velvet cut-out from Schumacher / Mary MacDonald that coordinates nicely with the drapes. It also adds a nice modern / masculine balance to the room.
4. Elegant accessories: We chose a great chandelier and a stunning mirror to add style to the room.
5. Beautiful tablescape: Invest in your favourite tableware! Have fun with florals and choose two or three vases to fill the table. There is no hard and fast rule on what you can do with florals on a table, so just have fun and be creative. Also, keep a few candlesticks on hand for romantic lighting.